Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Fire and Rain

Our second son has the ability to make us laugh, cry, scream and he scares the living daylights out of us.

On Valentine's Day, he, Tom and Pop decided at the last minute to drive to Mobile to meet me and watch the final game of the Southern Shootout Soccer Tournament. Tom allowed Foster to bring a guest - his friend with whom he has gotten in deep trouble on more than one occasion.

It was pouring rain in Mobile and Foster and his friend were bored. They were banging the metal bleachers, walking in front of all the spectators and generally being a nuisance. They found a playground and asked me if they might go over there and play. PLEASE DO, I told them.

Foster comes back looking like this:


After cleaning blood, applying ice and with a lot of quizzing, we learn that he was jumping from the "bar" to the "wall" and the rain made him fall. His head "went sliding on the concrete and smashed the wall with a wicked crash." "Am I gonna have a Black Eye? Cool." "Mom - it was the RAIN, it wasn't ME."

If that's not enough excitement for one day - we get MORE. Around mid-night we get home from the Mobile tournament. We methodically go from car, to bathroom, to bed like overly tired zombies. On a normal night when we have sleepover company I sleep on the very uncomfortable day bed in the sun room so that I can monitor the goings on of mischievous twelve year olds. On this night I assume everyone is going to bed, dead tired after all the excitement and four hours of driving.

Yeah Right! Around 8:30 a.m. or so we are awakened by banging on our door and Trey screaming -- THE TREE HOUSE IS ON FIRE.

I look out the sliding glass door in our bedroom into the back yard and see 25-30 foot flames shooting straight up the tree and the tree house is totally engulfed in flames.

Every single nerve in my body seizes . . . . "WHERE'S FOSTER AND J___?" I screamed that gut terror scream with tears flowing and my body shaking uncontrollably. I flashed back to 1970 when I watched my home go up in flames with my brother inside. The smell, the crackling sound and heat were all the same. I fell apart.

Pop grabs me and says - THEY ARE IN THE BED ASLEEP, Missy. Everything is going to be OK.

They were in the bed asleep - then WHO? It had to be deliberate because nothing else was on fire.

I call 911 and they tell me to stay on the line because I am the homeowner and I can see the fire, even though they have already gotten many calls. I tell the dispatcher - "It HAD to be set, WHO the hell would do such a thing?" Tom, who is on the other line, walks into the room and quietly whispers to me - please don't say anything else. My next thought is "Oh Shit, you've GOT to be kidding me."

Two fire trucks show up, three police, the fire chief and the police chief. When I see Foster he is crying and saying, "we didn't mean to set it on fire - we were just lighting leaves and stuff. "

They failed to completely extinguish the leaves and other "stuff" that they snuck out at 3 a.m. to light with a candle lighter INSIDE the tree house. The stuff smoldered for five hours until it turned into a tree house inferno.

Foster is on total and complete lock down restrictions until further notice. We took away his cell phone, computer, television, "thug" clothing and he has a long long way to earn our trust again.


Almighty God, heavenly Father, you have blessed us with the joy and care of children: Give us calm strength and patient wisdom as we bring them up, that we may teach them to love whatever is just and true and good, following the example of our Savior Jesus Christ. Amen.
BCP p.829, For the Care of Children

9 comments:

Karen :) said...

Oh my! Glad they are OK. BIBO BIBO!

auntie-c said...

Keep breathing, sweetie. So glad everyone is okay.

Hugs!!!

fiona said...

Oh my sweet friend; what a shock and thank goodness everyone was okay.

Ah boys... every single gray hair on my head is c/o Alex and just when I think I see a light at the end of the tunnel; it's another freight train steaming through!!

Just the other day Alex told me he had lost his video iPod he got for Christmas a year or so ago as I censured him on his carelessness. And there it be last week, on Craigslist in the for sale section with his name and OUR phone number; I can well imagine what the $$s were intended for...

Sigh... ;-(

..and yes he is GROUNDED!!

We will survive and I'm printing off the prayer too!!!

{{Scoot}}

Melissa Foster Denney said...

Thanks Karen and ~c~ This, too, shall pass.

Foster is doing great. He was immediately contrite and is serving his restriction with grace.

He learned to solve the Rubiks Cube, has completed amazing drawings, and read a great deal. He seems happy and we spent many hours together.

I've been his advocate with Tom - his day is not satisfied yet. He thinks this needs to be a watershed moment in his life.

Tom knows. He's been in a lot of trouble in his life.

((((Carrie))))) It'll be worth it one day.

Cheesecake Maven said...

Okay, I just wet my pants from laughing so hard while reading this blog!!! I've got boys, I can relate. I remember Foster, and remember when he cut his head open jumping on the bed in the boy's room in Auburn, scared the hell out of us. Give him a great big hug for me! (We gotta talk!) Love you guys!

Mnmom said...

My sister told me I just HAD to come over here and read this. HOLY COW I don't think lock down is enough for this boy!!! You're going to have to hire a 24/7 security company to follow him around until he's 45! I'm surprised you aren't drinking heavily or abusing prescription drugs. After that fire, I'd be a drooling maniac in a strait jacket.

He certainly lives "in the moment" doesn't he?

Melissa Foster Denney said...

Yeah. . .he IS out there. . .I haven't blogged yet, but. . .he was on strict lock down for 4 weeks after this incident. . .on the Friday that he was supposed to be paroled? . . .he was SUSPENDED from school!!!!. . there is just so much more to tell!~! Actually, I disagreed with the way the incident was handled at school, but he was on lock down just the same again for two more weeks. . .this is his first week off. . .and he is VERY contrite! . . .and I hope we have nipped this whole thing in the bud. . .

Auburn is a VERY small town. . and I'm afraid he's become "tagged" or is now the kid that Mom's don't let their kids play with. . .

My job, now, is to be VERY pro-active in making dates with kids that he doesn't follow along the wrong path with. . .

He's a GREAT person at heart, but follows danger and loves it. . .

Cheesecake Maven said...

HE IS A GREAT KID!!!!! I LOVE HIM!! Just hang in there, your hubby turned out just fine, so will this one. He's just got a very creative spirit in there!

Melissa Foster Denney said...

Thanks Mavin! Today is his birthday!! He's doing GREAT! It's the other one who's suprising us this time! We've never been surprised with Foster - just frustrated - but TREY. . .knocked us OVER! More to tell later.