Saturday, July 18, 2009

Blueberry Pie

I've made several of these this year to take to the lake. The recipe is worth sharing. People rave and can't figure out what that special touch is - I think its the combo of ingredients and not just one.















BLUEBERRY PIE

Basic Pie Crust for 9-inch two-crust Pie/Pillsbury does fine if out of time

4 cups fresh blueberries

3 Tablespoons all purpose flour

3/4 cup sugar

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom

Juice and zest of one lemon

1 tablespoon good quality dark rum

1 tablespoon butter


Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line the pie pan with half the pastry dough. Mix the flour, sugar, salt, and spices in large bowl. Add blueberries, lemon juice, zest and rum and gently toss well. Pile the mixture into the lined pie pan and dot with butter. Roll out the top crust and drape it over the pie. Crimp or flute the edges and cut several vents in the top. Bake for 10 minutes, then lower the temp to 350 degrees and bake for 30-40 mins or until top is browned.



My tips~

I love using my Pampered Chef Deep Dish Pie Plate to bake this pie but I use a regular sized 9 inch pie crust. As you can tell from the photographs, it fits nicely and deep into the dish, the stoneware keeps the bottom crust crisp, and it helps with boil overs.

I use my small star cutter to make a festive Americana pie for the month of July. Otherwise, regular vents are beautiful, too.

This is a sweet pie. I cut 1/4 cup sugar and it's still sweet. If you like a more tart pie - you may want to cut back on the sugar. I haven't done that yet.

I have eliminated the butter - BAD IDEA. It is essential to bind the flour and blueberry juices for thickness. It was a runny mess.

3 comments:

Judy said...

I put butter in my yummo blueberry pie too. It adds a nice richness!

Melissa Foster Denney said...

how did you get here so fast? I'm still editing!!! You're too much.

Judy said...

I'd better go back and re-read then!