Saturday, March 15, 2008

Beware the Ides of March?



I don't think so, this year. Today is National Quilting Day. In celebration, I sent a quilt for quilting for my friend, Mark, with sever colon cancer.

Next, I cut strips for my friend Judith. She and her husband, Ty, who died in January, have been our Auburn tailgate friends for nine years. I'm making her a blue and orange quilt with batik orange and black fabric reminiscent of tiger stripes for the border. The quilt is in honor or our years of fun, food and football. All the fabric was donated to me by friends of Ty and my friends who know how much I love to make quilts for people. Last, today, I worked on designing a baby quilt for someone who is having a baby in June. A celebration of new life, it makes me smile.

That's the thing about quilts. For both the maker and the recipient - they warm the body and comfort the soul.

Happy National Quilting Day.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Well I had no idea about this and I am part of a weekly handquilting group!

Melissa Foster Denney said...

YES~ Seems like I read that you hand quilt on your blog recently. I mostly machine piece these days and send it to Cinnamon Dreams to long-arm machine quilt. She is amazing - as a quilter and as a friend. You should visit Mercy On My Day today, too. She wrote a beautiful blog piece about quilting AND finally, Cheesecake Maven recently finished her first hand applique and posted it. Maven is an artist in many ways. Not only is she the most incredible chef I've known, she is also an amazing craftsman and designer.

Quilters are some of the most beautiful people I know. I'm glad to know you are one.

Cheesecake Maven said...

PLEASE post photos of some of your quilts on your blog, I'd love to see them! Miss you too!

auntie-c said...

Dearest friend... you warm my heart and make me smile. You were the first quilter to encourage me and show me just how generous and loving quilters are.

Yep, am following your advice and have already started a quilt for my SIL in a series of fat quarters that I let her pick... all reds and golds, 49-ers colors because that's her team. Her excitement makes this one a "happy" quilt.

And at the same time, I'm already planning one for my bed - finally!

love you...