Thursday, April 24, 2008

Missin' Daddy Blues

Daddy came to me in my dream last night. He said, “Baby, let go of those old haints now, ya hear me. Your life is too short for that kind of nonsense and you’ve had a good life – a lot better than you think.”

Wow, just wow. Profound. But, wait, what EXACTLY did you mean? Daddy?

He never had much to say when he was living. He told me two other times in my life to “let go of old haints.” He meant grudges and regrets.

For the most part, I think I’ve lived my life daily and real. But if I am truly honest, I have to say that deep down inside, where it really counts, I do have a haint or two.

Ironically, and somewhat comforting, I woke up to a computer message this morning from a former student – one of my favs – Connely.

Folsom Prison Blues was one of my Daddy’s favorite songs. I cried.

2 comments:

Eleanor said...

Your Daddy was a wise man, Melissa, and he passed that wisdom on to you.

(((Melissa)))

Cheesecake Maven said...

Aren't those visits wonderful! I haven't had one in a few months, but when they come, I cherish every moment of it.

Your dad was a good man, listen to him.

Love ya!