Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Time Warp



In many ways it seems like yesterday, but at others it seems like a lifetime ago. On September 24, 2008 my close friend Cindy Wall died suddenly. I remember the shock and pain I felt as I learned of her death. The pain feels like it happened a few minutes ago. But on the other hand, I feel like I have not seen or talked to her in years. Time has little meaning.

When my Daddy died a few years ago, I didn't think I would ever get over it. Hospice sent me a pamphlet on the one year anniversary of his death. I pulled it out yesterday. It helped me when he died and it helps me now.

Even though grief does not end with the first anniversary, hopefully you can say that you have learned many lessons this past year.

PERHAPS you have learned to receive and accept the love and support of those around you.

PERHAPS you have learned that your tears and memories are healing.

PERHAPS you have learned that although your life is changed, there is still a joy in living.

PERHAPS you have learned that the memories which hurt so much can become a healing bridge from the past to the future.

PERHAPS you have learned that the pain of loss is diminishing and the purpose and meaning in your life is growing stronger.

PERHAPS you have learned to treasure each day and to show love to others.

PERHAPS you have learned to never, never take for granted the gift of life.

The first anniversary is an important milestone. Look backward at your progress -- Look at today and congratulate yourself for the major achievement of coming this far -- Look ahead to the opportunities that are yet to come.

Thank you Daddy and Cindy for teaching me these lessons. Thank you Hospice for helping me realize what I've learned.

God's Peace+

2 comments:

fiona said...

So so sorry Melissa. I saw the Auburn game board on your FB page and thought one year? No way. Time flies but rarely heals the pain. I like how the word "PERHAPS" is capitalized because perhaps is the key word in all this. No expiry date on grief sadly and no words either for your loss other than I'm so thankful you were blessed with Cindy in your life and you in hers. Peace

Anonymous said...

(((Scoot))) Wish I could really hug you. Time, grace, God's love, more time....we heal and we miss, don't we? So sorry for both of your losses. Both your Dad and your friend were blessed by having you in their lives.

Hugs, Marci