Sunday, May 4, 2008

And. . .He Drives


My son, Trey, turned 15 yesterday. He spent his day doing community service work for National Honor Society. He waited until the last minute to do his service - so he had no choice but to get his remaining eight hours in on his birthday. He came with me to the annual Auburn University Rural Studio Pig Roast.

Of course I didn't take many pictures - I never have time to do that. I am disappointed and hope that some of our students or staff did.

Trey had a day he will not soon forget, I know I won't.

It started out with him helping get the lunch ready, carrying boxes, etc. Then he had to help set up for the celebration in the evening - which included cleaning out the SubRosa~~ It had a lot of water in it from the storm the night before. He helped set up tables, spread hay over the wet spots on the ground, sell t-shirts = they kept him VERY busy.

He was helping to take loads of stuff from one venue to another when. . . . Johnny Parker, our construction supervisor and man who knows and does all! threw him the keys to the truck and said, "here drive this over to Chantilly." Trey told Johnny that his parents didn't let him drive, yet, that he just turned 15 today. To which Johnny replied in only a way Johnny can. . . DRIVE THE DAMN TRUCK!! Trey did.

Turns out I had gotten back from the tour by then and was sitting out front of Chantilly only to see my son, BY HIMSELF, driving down Highway 61! He pulled up with the biggest grin on his face and said please don't be angry - Johnny made me, and I knew he was telling the truth. Trey was scared to death. He has only driven a few times before with me or his dad.
Johnny scolded me up and down. . . A 15 year old BOY who has not ever driven a car? What the hell is that about woman? You better get with it or I'm gonna have to take him away from you!

Johnny took Trey under his wing for the rest of the evening - Trey helped him fix the electrical wiring to the stage, got to shoot real big boy fireworks, Johnny took him for another long drive and a few other things that will remain our little secret for now.

But the best present of all - Johnny went to the Piggly Wiggly in Greensboro (the only grocery for miles and miles) and bought Trey a birthday cake - asked Pam Dorr to decorate it and had about six or so Auburn University Sophomore women sing happy birthday and present the cake to Trey in front of 200+ Pig Roast guest. . . .

A birthday to remember for sure! Thank you Johnny.

9 comments:

Melissa said...

Scoot:

What an awesome experience for Trey! Certainly a birthday he will never forget - how cool that you got to share it with him :)

the "other" Melissa

Karen :) said...

Oh my goodness! What a cool birthday! It is hard to believe he is 15!!!

SuziQoregon said...

Happy Birthday Trey!!!

auntie-c said...

Oh... that rocks for a 15th birthday!

Unknown said...

Damn Johhny looks scary enough I think I'd have done the same..LOL

Glad he had a great birthday :-) Betcha nearly had heart failure on the highway!

Melissa Foster Denney said...

Thanks y'all - I'll tell Trey you said Happy Birthday~

We just got back from the DMV - he has a learner's permit now~

Here we go . . . . !!!

Anonymous said...

Scoot, my firstborn just got her license today -- after a post-prom weekend down the shore.

Talk about gray hair!!! UGH!

Happy day to your kid!

~Judy

Melissa Foster Denney said...

WHAT HAPPENED TO OUR BABIES?

It seems so cliche to say - but time realio trulio goes by too fast.

Happy Day to yours, too, Judy~

Anonymous said...

This past weekend, I thought for the first time, "my work with this kid is done. She has the tools to create a happy, fulfilling life for herself."

What an awesome feeling that was!

~Judy