Monday, May 5, 2008

Where's My Pant Suit?

Someone asked me today if I can support Clinton if she beats Obama for the Democratic nomination. Even though the polls are showing that she is gaining ground and that Obama can’t seem to crack the “Bubba” vote (well – DUH!! We ALL know what that’s about), I still believe that he will pull out this nomination. The Democratic Party’s super delegates are fools if they ignore the surge of young, enthusiastic and absolutely – idealistic -- voters just because the party thinks it can win in November. It’s about our future, stupid! Not necessarily about the next four years. We’ve not been forward thinking in the past, maybe I’m the idealistic one thinking that we are now.

However, the question is still in the air . . . .can you support Clinton if she is the democratic nominee for President of the United States?...?


You can bet your burnt orange pant suit I can! and here’s why –

Affordable Healthcare for all Americans is her #1 issue – I grew up with a self-employed father with a modest to low income, and a part-time working mom. When it came time for me to go to college – they had $23,000 in medical debt. That’s a lot of money in 1980 terms, when tuition was $2,500 a year and I even qualified for Pell Grants and couldn’t afford it.

Ending the Iraq War. She vows a phased redeployment within her first days in office and actually has a very well thought out and sustainable policy.

Energy and Environmental Concerns. “Hillary would transform our economy from carbon-based to clean and energy efficient, jumpstarting research and development through a $50 billion Strategic Energy Fund and doubling investment in basic energy research. She would also spur the green building industry by funding the retrofitting and modernization of 20 million low-income homes and take concrete steps to reduce electricity consumption, including enacting strict appliance efficiency standards and phasing out incandescent light bulbs.” Those of you who know me well – know this is paramount with me.

She has been a champion for women for decades. “Today, despite the progress women have made, they earn only 77 cents for every dollar men earn -- and women of color earn even less. Hillary is leading the charge in the Senate to strengthen equal pay laws and end pay disparities between men and women. She introduced the Paycheck Fairness Act to strengthen the penalties associated with wage discrimination, to ensure that the federal government sets a higher standard, and to increase oversight of employers. Hillary has also worked to increase access to capital and other support for women-owned businesses.

When it comes to each woman's ability to make the most personal of life decisions, Hillary has stood firm as an advocate for a woman's right to choose. She has expanded access to family planning services, including for low-income women. She spoke out forcefully against the Supreme Court's April 2007 decision that -- for the first time in decades -- failed to recognize the importance of women's health.”


I could go on and on. . . .I can’t believe I didn’t put her vision for rural American up top, or her well thought out economic plan (which I hope Obama adopts once elected) . . .all her issues are up top for me. . . .

So why am I supporting Obama . . .it’s simple. . .he is grassroots America, he’s new, his policies are not that much different from Clinton – but he brings with him energetic supporters and he is not accepting money from lobbyists in the healthcare industry, the oil industry or the weapons industry. . . .unlike Clinton. AND he is a new hope for our American youth - our young people LOVE HIM. We should listen to our young people. And, of course, there's that whole divisive issue - which I can't understand - WHY do people hate her so ?



McCain will bolster troops in Iraq, has vowed to overturn Roe v. Wade, and will stop all stem cell research – not to mention his immigration (anti-Mexican) policy, and openly admits that he knows nothing about the economy. There are many other issues too numerous to mention here.

At the end of the day. . . . .even if McCain is palatable to some democrats - it's those few issues that turn me away. Let's concede that he has the Bubba vote. We woman, young people, people of color and traditional working-class Regan democrats can make a majority and win in November with Obama or Clinton - if we stick together.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All quotes and facts are from the candidate’s web sites:

HillaryClinton.com
BarackObama.com
JohnMcCain.com

Postscript - I referred to Senator Hillary Clinton as "Clinton" in this blog just as I referred to Senators Barack Obama and John McCain and "Obama" and "McCain" - it was her own web site that referred to her by her first name - Hillary - a fact that I find highly irritating. She should be shown the same respect as the men she's up against - and not referred to by her first name thus lowering her rank.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

If I could vote, Obama would get mine. The Hubster can vote and is traditionally a Republican but I think he's going the other way this time for Obama. But I'm afraid hell will freeze over before he votes for Hillary, he just deosn't trust her.

Anonymous said...

The question I've been asking myself is: what's the greater danger to this country? 4 years under McCain, or putting in power Democrats who uses the same ugly race and class tactics as the ugly right wing...?

I hope to God it's not a question I'll have t answer!

~Judy

Melissa Foster Denney said...

I don't get that - I mean I understand why someone might not trust Hillary, but he trusts Bush, McCain et al?

I just don't get why people hate her so.

Melissa Foster Denney said...

You know, Judy, like I say in the blog - my answer will have to be Hillary. She is more of the same nasty politics we've had since - well, in my memory - since Bush I's Willie Horton Ads, but I have to go with the policies if I can't have the person.

luke said...

here's a stat for ya: 50% of those who participated in the exit polls last night said the situation with Rev. Wright swayed them. just sad.

back on track, I feel a sense of great frustration right now. I don't personally know any Clinton supporters (as the one I knew, I converted), but its so maddening that she continues to play along as if she's still got a good chance at all this. her "victory" in Indiana wasn't a victory, it was a crapshoot, yet she ignores the weakness of her numbers that came out of the votes.

the whole process by which the Democratic party chooses their nominee is becoming ever more convoluted and strung out. we're tired and we need to start looking towards November, not June 13th in West Virginia.

and I think a good and valid point has been made here, that its quite obvious the young people, my people, have made a clear decision as to who they want, and why no one, including HRC, has paid attention to this is sickening.

if you want change, look at the base, physical numbers: if Clinton somehow pulls this out and wins in November, its another four years in the Clinton/Bush dynasty. its disconcertingly reminiscent of old dynasties, the type we left behind when we claimed Independence over 200 years ago. a real change comes with Obama, and that is what we need.

luke said...

and by June 13th, I mean May 13th.

Anonymous said...

Luke, I heard that stat as, "50% said the Rev. Wright issue was a concern." I understood that to mean that even tho that was a concern, economic and other more pracical concerns trumped. I found that a more hopeful scenario, knowing that when push comes to shove, common sense prevails.

What would King Solomon say? I would guess that the one willing to destroy the party doesn't deserve to lead it!

It will be fascinating to watch what the Superdelegates do.

Obama's speech last night was wonderful. I can't wait to have a president who inspires me and makes me proud, who speaks to the best part of us, not the worst...

Thanks for letting me chime in here!

~Judy

Melissa Foster Denney said...

Luke~

I wrote this before yesterday - and I'm still waiting to exhale. Clinton is starting to make me angry and I can't see how on this earth the super delegates can give this to her - I just can't.

I think they are staying silent out of respect for her - but they are going to have to come forward - because just like her husband, she is highly competitive and her MO is to outlast her opponent.

I got a news flash email that said McGovern (a superdelegate) is switching his support to Obama and is announcing why on Larry King Live tonight.

Maybe the dam will break.

Judy~

I was SO inspired last night with Obama's speech. I even turned to Faux News to see if it was because I am biased - they were saying it was beautiful. He is such a breath of fresh air.

Thanks for posting. . . .I'm starting to get political fever again. . .

Where do y'all go for political talk?

luke said...

judy...

just proves the notion that the news is in the hands of those who report it.

ugh. i like the take you heard better.

Unknown said...

I wanted to add as a European, where we are much closer to the Arab/Moslem nations and their people live integrated in our communities.

One day I hope we have a female President but now is not the time. These countries we are trying to broker peace in, still regard women as 2nd class citizens. It's untenable for the USA to have a woman at this point in history. The whole of the Middle East will not take us as seriously and we will be a laughing stock.