Thursday, May 8, 2008

MY HEAD HURTS


I'm not kidding - it realio and trulio HURTS! I had another full blown migraine with aura today. I'm just now able to look into the computer screen and it started around noon. I won't look at this screen for long.

The last time after I had one, I collected these images to write about them. The following image describes it well. It starts in my eye like a black spot or wavy spot - like heat waves. Then it starts to spread like a backwards jagged bright C. It gets larger and larger until it completely blocks my field of vision. This is usually in my right eye and my right arm goes to sleep with the needle prick feeling. It lasts about 20 minutes. I know that I have those 20 minutes (which I can't see through it to walk or drive) plus 15 more before I get a brain crushing headache that is totally and completely debilitating.


This image shows the color of it better. It is like a bright light. Twice it has been very colorful like a rainbow.


My headaches can last from a few hours to three days. I never know. I must get to a quiet dark place. There are some days when this is impossible.

If I take Imetrex (which I ALWAYS have with me) during the first onset of aura, I can cut the time drastically. After four hours, I take two Excedrin every six hours until it's gone.

I mostly know what my triggers are, but I don't have a clue what caused it today. Red wine, peanuts or peanut butter, too much chocolate will usually do it.

I'm not writing this to get sympathy, but to explain how they look and feel. I know a lot of people with much worse illnesses or that get these more frequently than I do, so don't waste your sympathy on me. I'm thankful that I don't get them very often, maybe once every quarter or 90 days.

Here some really cool Migraine Art - Isn't it interesting how pain, sorrow and other strong feelings bring out the beauty in artists and musicians?

Migraine Art - The New York Times > Opinion > Slide Show > Slide 9 of 11

8 comments:

Eleanor said...

As a regular sufferer of migraine, I gotta tell you that it doesn't matter if you get them five times a month or once a quarter -- they are HELL. You've described them very well -- and I hope you are feeling better today!!

Anonymous said...

I get the aura, but with only a "regular" headache.

For me it starts with a flash of light. I'll think... did I just look at a bright light for too long? Then the sqiggles start... little squiggle lights cascade down my field of vision.

Then I can't really see straight ahead, like opposite tunnel vision. I can't read at all. It's almost always worse in the right eye. One good thing about menopause is that I now get far fewer of them post-meno...

20 minutes is as long as it lasts. Everyone one of my sibs gets these weird headaches. Only one sister gets the debilitating after headache, though. Another sister had neuro work done and was told it was just hereditary.

I did warn my kids: if your vision ever goes kafluey, don't freak out -- it's a blind spot headache!

Scoot, I don't mean to keep butting into your blog, but your recent topics are near and dear to my heart!!

inevitably2484848 said...

Sorry you have a headache.

Melissa Foster Denney said...

Hey Sweetie! I can't wait to see you - you should be flying right now or soon. Four more hours! Maybe we'll be able to say Hello before you head to State Cup! Too funny.

Judy~ I LOVE that you post to my blog. I have a million things I want to talk to you about - mostly kid stuff and what's up with the college search, etc.

El~ I don't know what I would do if I didn't get the auras - at least I can do some preventive measures and brace for it. How do you know yours are migraines or a regular headache (which I live with most days).

Mnmom said...

I used to get cluster migraines starting in college - they would always set in during REM sleep and wake me with indescribable pain for about an hour, then disappear as mysteriously as they started. This cycle would last for two weeks, then evaporate, only to return 4-6 months later. The last one I had was in 1994 just after delivering my twins. By then Imitrex injections had come on the market and they saved my life.

I'm hopeful they are now gone for good. I used to think I was crazy, or having a stroke. Neither is a good alternative.

Melissa Foster Denney said...

They are hell aren't they?
Where's you little sister these days?

Unknown said...

Luckily for me I have never had a migraine and I hope you feel better soon. I have an Aunt who has suffered horribly her whole life with them and I know how she awful she feels.

Anonymous said...

http://www.hailubao.com/English/